Server Administrator 1.4.0a on Debian/Woody

Andreas Schultz aschultz at warp10.net
Sat Aug 23 09:57:01 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I have just a couple of hours trying to install the Server Administrator
1.4.0a on a Debian/Woody box. Searching the maillingist has revealed nothing.

Attached is short writeup on how i finally managed to get it all running. I
hope this will save some time for others.

Let me know i you find any errors or mistakes.

Have fun

Andreas

Installing Dell's OpenManage Server Administrator 1.4.0a on Debian/Woody

(this document can also be found at:
            http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aschultz/dell/sa-1.4.0a.txt)

NOTE: This document describes how i managed to install the server
      administrator on a PE2550 running Debian/Woody. It is by no means
      complete or comprehensive!!!

some randome notes before we begin:

- the documents and scripts on
     http://www.domsch.com/linux/openmanage-contrib/debian/ apparently
  use RH ucd-snmp rpms. i have installed all my servers with the
  Debian/Woody snmpd-4.2.3-2 without any problems

- the following two ines need to be added to /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf for
  the dellomsa snmp subagent:

# Allow Dell OpenManage Server Agent to connect to ucd-snmp using SMUX.
smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1

Installation:
=============

1. install Dell's OMSA Agents,
      see http://www.domsch.com/linux/openmanage-contrib/debian/

   make sure the kernel module has been loaded
   and the agents are running !!!

   (i use 'update-rc.d dellomsa defaults 16 84' for rc.d)

NOTE: Do not continue unless you have complete step 1 successfully!

2. install libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 and the xlibs
   (server's -at least mine- usualy do not have X installed, but the
   java based parts need at least some libs)

      # apt-get install libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1
      # apt-get install xlibs

3. get and install libpam-stack
   i use the one from:
                http://www.rit.bme.hu/~balsa/debian_devel/pam_stack/

     # wget
http://www.rit.bme.hu/~balsa/debian_devel/pam_stack/libpam-stack_0.72-0.balsa.30_i386.deb
     # dpkg -i libpam-stack_0.72-0.balsa.30_i386.deb

4. get server-administrator-1.4.0a.tar.gz from Dell
5. unpack server-administrator-1.4.0a.tar.gz

     # tar xzf server-administrator-1.4.0a.tar.gz

6. get and apply the my patch
http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aschultz/dell/sa-1.4.0a-debian-install.diff

     # wget
http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aschultz/dell/sa-1.4.0a-debian-install.diff
     # cd dell
     # patch -p1 < ../sa-1.4.0a-debian-install.diff

7. install the server admin

     # cd omsw
     # ./start.sh -license -force

8. apply my patch for the startup scripts

     # cd /usr/lib/dell/openmanage/iws/bin/linux
     # wget
http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aschultz/dell/sa-1.4.0a-debian-init.diff
     # patch < sa-1.4.0a-debian-init.diff

9. copy the config file 'omawsd.src' into /etc/default

     # cp omawsd.src /etc/default

10. symlink the startup script into /etc/init.d

     # ln -s /usr/lib/dell/openmanage/iws/bin/linux/omawsd /etc/init.d

11. fire up the server admin

     # /etc/init.d/omawsd start

    connecting to https://localhost:1311/ should be possible after this

12. (optional) start the server admin at bootup

     # update-rc.d omawsd defaults 17 83

Have fun

Andreas