PowerEdge 2650: ERA issue

Pavan Deolasee pavan_v_d at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 13:19:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

I have two Dell PowerEdge 2650 machines with Redhat
Advance OS 2.1 on one and Redhat 9 on the other
machine. I am trying to configure the ERA controller.
Though I have set the correct Ip addresses, netmask
and gateway, I am not being able to ping the
controller on
any of the machines.

I installed the Dell Server Administrator on the
machines (om* and racadm utilities and other
drivers/modules). I then changed the network settings
on the controller using omconfig on the host machine.

The subnet and gateway for the host is same (ip is
different though)

[root at linux77 root]# omreport rac network
Network Properties

NIC
Property : Enable NIC
Value    : true

Property : Use DHCP (For NIC IP Address)
Value    : false

Property : Static IP Address
Value    : 10.212.99.175

Property : Static Subnet Mask
Value    : 255.255.254.0

Property : Static Gateway Address
Value    : 10.212.98.1

Property : Current IP Address
Value    : 10.212.99.175
SMTP
Property : Enable SMTP
Value    : false

Property : SMTP (Email) Server Address
Value    : 127.0.0.1

[root at linux77 root]# service racser status
racser driver loaded properly
pppd (pid 728) is running...

I am surprised to see the following entry in the
ifconfig output. I
am sure its because of ERA modules. But I am surprised
to see the
inet address (192.168.234.235). Is there some problem
?

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:192.168.234.235
P-t-P:192.168.234.236 Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST
MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2613 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2617 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:178406 (174.2 Kb)  TX bytes:104566
(102.1 Kb)

Am I missing any other settings ? Do I need to any
special network
settings (e.g in the switch) ?

I am quite new to Dell world and does not have any
previous
experience with the Dell machines. I tried to look
through the Dell
docs as well as  archives with no luck.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Please accept my
apologies if I am missing something very trivial.

Thanks in advance,
Pavan