Problems DHCP+PXE on 1750

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Thu Aug 21 22:31:00 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I am currently working on getting our newest beowulf-style cluster up
and running but seem to be having some DHCP issues.

The nodes are 1750's and the network switches are Dell 5224 GigE.
I am installing Redhat 9 and so far have managed to get the nodes to PXE
boot using a DHCP server (running RH9 on a 2650).

The problem arises during the OS installation process.  The installation
script asks for the user to identify the IP address and network
information for the node.  I specify that the node should get this info
from DHCP.  The node goes off and (supposedly) tries to query the DHCP
server, but times out with no reply and returns the the same prompt.
There is no record of a DHCPREQUEST on the server side (at least not one
which the DHCP server recognized)

Now the funny thing is that if you just hit return again at this point
and have the installation script re-query DHCP, the IP data is read from
the server just fine and the installation continues without problem.

So in summary the first DHCP query (during the PXE boot) works fine, the
second fails with no query being seen by the server, and the third
succeeds.  The problem is that this need for an extra DHCP query is
going to screw up getting kickstart to auto install the nodes, and I am
not looking forward to the prospect of hand installing 100 nodes worth
of OS. <:-/

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, or have any idea about
where to look?

Thanks,

-bill