convert raid 1 to raid 5? best raid mgmt utility?

Joe Janitor joe_janitor at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 18:56:00 CDT 2003

I've ordered the system below (refurbished) today. Assuming
that it was configured for RAID1, I also ordered a new 73GB
drive (to make 3 total) so that I can run RAID5. I plan to
install Red Hat 9 when it arrives. Can I simply plug in the
third drive to the PERC controller and then use the BIOS
utility to set up a RAID5 striped array instead of whatever
the factory did?

Also, what is the best utility to use for monitoring, email
notification, etc. once I have the OS installed and running?

Thanks,
Joe

PowerEdge 1600 SC Server: Intel® Xeon? Processor 2.0GHz/512K Cache, 400MHz Front Side Bus
 128 MB DDR SDRAM
 Integrated Floppy Drive
 73 GB SCSI Hard Drive (10K RPM)
 73 GB SCSI Hard Drive (10K RPM)