RAID-5 expansion / harddisk replacement (with bigger disks) w ithout total data-loss

Tue Aug 19 10:37:00 CDT 2003

Trust me, don't do what you are trying to do.  Will probably end in
miserable failure and cause more downtime than necessary.

Rem out your mount points for the current mounts on the raid

Backup the data and note any labels on the arrays if any with e2label
/dev/sdxx.

Remove the 9gb drives and put new drives in and create new raid5 and scrub
it.

Recreate partitions to whatever size you want and label them if you are
mounting
them that way restore data and restore the mount points.

Remount partitions and restart all your applications.

If you go down doing any of these rebuilds and reconfigures you loose
everything and have to start fresh anyways and will have wasted several
hours for each rebuild and even more time during reconfigures.

You would expend 100 times more effort trying not to recreate and restore
than
you would if you just followed the above steps.
Steve