RAID-5 expansion / harddisk replacement (with bigger disks) without total data-loss

Nicolai Schleifer schleifer at chamaeleon.de
Tue Aug 19 10:07:01 CDT 2003

Another option to prevent downtime would be to define a third RAID-5 container using the added free space, after the 9GB harddisks have been replaced with 36GB ones.

Could data loss occur in such a case?

To go this way, the PERC should at least enable me to replace all four 9GB disks with 36GB disks in a sequential manner without data loss.

Thanks for your hints.

Greetings Nicolai

Email: schleifer at chamaeleon.de
http://www.chamaeleon.de