RAID-5 expansion / harddisk replacement (with bigger disks) without total data-loss

Nicolai Schleifer schleifer at chamaeleon.de
Tue Aug 19 05:47:00 CDT 2003

Hello,

I'd like to replace the four 9GB harddisks of container 1 in the example
below against 36GB harddisks without having a total data loss of that
container. The goal is to extend the overall size of that container from "(4 time 9GB)-raid-5_overhead" to "(4 times 36GB)-raid-5_overhead".

I think it should be possible, by first replacing all the 9GB harddisks,
one by one (like if they were broken and needed to be replaced) and after that by extending the container's size to the full extent that should be possible by then (found hints about that, using afacli commands "container reconfigure"/"container extend").

I'm currently reading this mailinglist about my planned expansion task,
to various different results. I can't find an example on the list which
matches my task. Any hints?

Example Configuration:
AFA0> container list
Executing: container list
Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
----- ------ ------ --- ------ ------- ------ -------------
 0    Mirror 8.47GB            Open    0:00:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
 /dev/sda             SYSTEM           0:01:0 64.0KB:8.47GB

 1    RAID-5 25.4GB       64KB Open    0:02:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
 /dev/sdb             DATA             0:03:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
                                       0:04:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
                                       0:05:0 64.0KB:8.47GB

Maybe someone can tell me if it's possible at all. A recipe on how to do it would even be greater.

Thank you! :)

Greetings Nicolai
--
Nicolai Schleifer