NFS problems with RH 9

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 19 02:10:00 CDT 2003

At 07:21 18-8-2003 -0700, Venkatesh Nagarajan wrote:
>Hi
>
>I have imported this disk on a solaris 6 machine. When I invoke the copy
>on the linux disk from solaris the performance is horrible. I get
>something in the order of 2K/sec.

Make sure that the network cable is OK. NFS uses udp traffic instead of
tcp. TCP traffic copes well with bad cabling while udp starts behaving
erratic and will quickly reduce nfs traffic upto around 1Mbit or so.

Make sure with ifconfig (on both hosts) that you are not losing packets.
Also check if the switch isn't behaving weird.

Furthermore you can increase the networkbuffer  size as listed in the NFS
Howto. Newer kernels (2.4.19+) do this automatically.

You can experiment with the wsize and rsize settings as well as trying the
mount with nfsv3. Although I believe this is problematic between a linux
and a solaris host in some combinations.

Cheers

--
Seth