Configuring PERC3/DC SCSI controller for software raid

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Sat Aug 16 18:21:00 CDT 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Erik Lindahl wrote:

> What's the most appropriate way to configure the PERC3/DC controller if
> we want to use software raid on 14 disks?

i would say JBOD (or possibly the controller might call it 'volume')

IIRC, you do have to actually tell the controller to present the disks
though as it will not 'default' to making 14 drives available directly
to the OS.

> I don't seem to be able to get the OS to see the disks directly, so do
> I have to configure each physical disk as a separate logical raid0
> array, or?

have you installed the dellmgr tool ? you should be able to use that
to configure up the controller, then rmmod the appropriate driver,
modprobe it and it should see all the drives as you need them.. to
save you some time in constant rebooting.

it begs the question though.. why are you using a PERC3/DC when
you should really use an adaptec 39160 or equivalent with no
raid stuff.. (yes, i know.. 'because it's there.. and we'd have
to pay extra for another card?')

regards,

-jason