Poweredge 4200 BIOS Updates?

Dave Sobel dave at evolvetech.com
Fri Aug 15 16:55:01 CDT 2003

Peter:

Amazing that you ask this today.

I'm working on exactly the same problem, although I'm running Windows
2000 on this box.

I have a Dell PowerEdge 4200 with 4 9 GB drives in it.  I've purchased
two additional 9 GB drives I want to put into it, and acquired the
correct drive trays to do it.

I have NOT updated the BIOS yet nor updated the firmware on the AMI
PERC II controller.  (Interestingly, I'm having trouble finding the
right update on the Dell Support site).

When I put the two new drives into the slots and connect them, the PERC
II controller doesn't even see the two new drives.  Interestingly, what
it does do is knock my Intel PRO network card offline when I boot with
the two new drives, even tho nothing is connected.

Currently, I'm working on finding the right updates for the machine to
flash the BIOS and the PERC controller in hopes that this will do what
you describe.  I need to expand the logical partition, such that I can
then use partitioning software to expand the drives.

If the fine folks at Dell can offer insight, that would be great.  I'm
also going to work on this myself some.....

Dave