kickstarting a 2600

Wendy.Faulkner wfaulkne at ni.com
Thu Aug 14 08:53:00 CDT 2003

I've been having a devil of a time kickstarting a Poweredge 2600.  Its
got a gigabit card in it, and everytime it will load the kernel from the
tftp server, and then die because of a wrong ethernet driver.  I have
the source for the e1000.o module,  but I need the src for the
2.4.9-e.3BOOT kernel - if I boot a box off of the BOOT kernel, but only have
the 2.4.9-e.3 source installed, compiling the e1000 module  warns me that
the source code isn't the same as the running kernel and it probably
won't work.

And when I kickstart the new box, it complains that the e1000.o module
is compiled with the wrong kernel.  I've even tried changing the
version.h file in the source code, but then when I booted with that
module, I got unresolved symbol errors..

I can't seem to find source for the BOOT kernel anywhere, so I'm not
sure of any way to get a correct e1000 binary to PXE boot off of.

Any suggestions?
Thx.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is a fatal adventure. It can only
          Wendy Faulkner             have one end. So why not make it as
      wendy.faulkner at ni.com          far-ranging and free as possible?
 http://crw.boxofclue.com  	     Alexander Eliot, NY Post, 28 Nov 1962