BCM5700 on 1750

Anthony Porcano anthony_porcano at kaplan.com
Wed Aug 13 20:10:00 CDT 2003

I have yet to do a build on a 1750, and have very little exposure to RH8/9. That being said, you might try loading the tg3 driver instead and see if you have any luck. I would suggest upgrading to the latest errata kernel as older versions of the driver had some issues.

To test the tg3 driver you can unload bcm5700 via an 'rmmod', and then load tg3 with 'modprobe tg3'. Make sure you down your interfaces before trying to remove the current driver. A 'service network stop' should accomplish this. If the tg3 driver loads without complaints you can start your network back up, 'service network start',  and see if your devices are up and working. If all works out you can make the change permanent by editing /etc/modules.conf.

Hope this helps, and yes building sun machines are fun....just not as fun as Linux.  ;)

Thanks,
 Anthony

Anthony Porcano
Systems Engineer, Kaplan Inc.