Linux compatibility with Oracle 8.1.7 and Dell PE2650

Craig Morris craig.morris at knowledgeparktech.com
Wed Aug 13 09:40:00 CDT 2003

I suggest installing Oracle 8.1.7 on a version of Redhat (I assume by linux
8.0 you mean RH 8.0) that is known to be compatible, perhaps RH7.2.  Then
archive the ORACLE_HOME and transfer it to the new server.  We've been
running Oracle 8.1.6 (installed under RH6.2) on various versions of RedHat
from 7.1-8.0 with good success.  Originally we did this to work around an
incompatibility with Oracle 8.1.6 and Redhat (7.0 I believe...).

FYI, a good resource when installing Oracle under Linux,

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml

Craig Morris

Consultant

KnowledgePark Technologies Inc.