perc4 vs. perc3

Chang, Kristen KRISTEN.CHANG at saic.com
Tue Aug 12 23:46:01 CDT 2003

Thank you for responding.

Here is my situation: I have a Dell PowerEdge 2550, Red Hat 7.2 was
installed using a PERC4/Di driver.  The person used this driver without
knowing what PERC controller the machine had.  The OS installed fine and
applications run fine, however, I'm concerned that we will run into problems
in the future since the person basically used the PERC 4/Di driver at
random.  How dangerous would it be to leave the machine with its current
configuration (i.e. using a PERC 4/Di driver on a machine that probably has
some version of the PERC 3 controller)??

Will I be able to tell what version the PERC controller really is (or does
it now think it has a PERC 4/Di controller since that driver was used)?  I
didn't see it in the startup run and I'm not sure what DOMSA.

thank you again.