DLT tape errors -- FIXED !!

Bill Gurley bgurley at utk.edu
Tue Aug 12 10:41:01 CDT 2003

For completenes of this thread in the list archives, I'm writing now to
tell you that my DLT tape problem is fixed.

Thanks to Dell's Steve Boley on this list for assuring that I had tried
everything I possibly could to resolve the issue.  When I called Dell
Support, I was ready for them!  Fortunately, the guy that helped me at
Dell support was very helpful and friendly.  He listened to me as I
explained all that I had done.  Although I was pretty sure that the
problem was with the tape drive itself, we could not be absolutely sure
that it was not a problem with the Adaptec controller or cable.  So he
shipped me a box with all of them.

This morning I replaced ONLY the DLT VS 80 internal tape drive.  I can
now do a simple tar backup of the entire system with no errors.

Thanks to all the folks on the poweredge list who sent me helpful
suggestions.

--
-Bill-