Latest release of BCM5700 driver for PE2650

Álvaro Palma apalma at custodium.com
Tue Aug 12 08:52:01 CDT 2003

Mensaje citado por Xose Vazquez Perez <xose at wanadoo.es>:

> Dave Wreski wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> bcm5700 never will be into kernel, tg3 is the official LiNUX driver.
> >> give a try to tg3 is much better code than bcm5700
> >

> > Why do you say the bcm5700 driver will never be in the kernel? Is it not
> > open source?
>
> yes, it's open source but there is yet a kernel driver(tg3) for bcm5700
> NICs.

I think that's not the reason. From my point of view, the main reason is
because bcm5700 driver is qualified as a very poor written driver by RedHat
people. Remember e100/eepro100 drivers. Both apply for the same hardware, and
both are included in the kernel, so this is no reason to include bcm5700
driver.

--
Atte.
Álvaro Palma