perc4 vs. perc3

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Aug 11 22:38:00 CDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Chang, Kristen wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can use a PERC4 driver for a PERC3 machine?  Where
> would problems occur?

the question isn't very parseable.  there are various sorts of perc4 and
perc3 cards and drivers.  the perc2/3 Si/Di are adaptec based raid controllers.
the perc 2/3 SC/DC/QC cards appears to be AMI based controllers.  the perc 4
appears to be a LSI based controller.

so the short answer is 'no' but the more useful answer is 'the linux distro
should probably have perc4 support by now, e.g in redhat linux 9 or above'

> Also, I have been given a machine with some sort of PERC configuration, how
> can I tell what the "level" of PERC is (i.e. 2, 3 or 4)?

it might depend on the age/type of machine.  if you already have an OS installed
then then DOMSA should give you this information if installed.

otherwise you might be able to glean this info from watching a startup process
of the machine on the console.

regards,

-jason