MTX not working with PV 122T

Karl Zander KZander at CommPartners.com
Mon Aug 11 18:32:00 CDT 2003

At 04:13 PM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am having problems getting mtx to work with my powerVault 122T.
>Here's my setup:

<sinp>

>I can use mt to write and read from the tape loaded in the drive, but I
>cannot get mtx to do anything with any of the sg devices.  Can anyone
>see what I'm missing?

Matt,

I have a similar setup, but on a PE 1650.  I too had problems.   I can get
mtx to change tapes, but I never got the cleaning tape to work.    I ended
up writing 7 shell scripts and running them with cron to change to the
tapes.  I am sure there are more elegant ways to do it.  :-)

In case you are interested, here is a sample script.

loadmon.sh

# ! /bin/sh
# Unload Sunday's tape from slot 1
/usr/local/sbin/mtx -f  /dev/sg1 unload 1
# Load Monday's tape from slot 2
/usr/local/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg1 load 2

I run it from cron about 1:00 am and then about an hour later run
backup.  I also have a loadtues.sh, loadwed.sh, etc that look like this
one, only they increment the slots.

It works for me, but I would not be surprised if there are better ways to
do it.

-Karl