MTX not working with PV 122T

Matthew Monahan monahan at adelphi.edu
Mon Aug 11 15:14:01 CDT 2003

Hi All,

I am having problems getting mtx to work with my powerVault 122T.
Here's my setup:

PV 122T attached to onboard Adaptec card in a PE 6650 running RH 8.0.
The tape library is the only device on the Adaptec card.  I have seen
comments in mailing lists that people have gotten mtx to change tapes in
Linux, but I have not been able to do so.

Here's what I see in Linux:

[root at oak root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: BNCHMARK Model: VS640            Rev: 5032
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 01
  Vendor: BNCHMARK Model: VS640            Rev: 5032
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD 0 RAID5  209G Rev: 1.72
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 04 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PE/PV    Model: 1x5 SCSI BP      Rev: 0.31
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-224E          Rev: K.9A
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry
  and
mtx -f /dev/sg1 inquiry
  just hang with no output, as does mtx status, but:

[root at oak root]# mtx -f /dev/sg3 inquiry
Product Type: Processor
Vendor ID: 'PE/PV   '
Product ID: '1x5 SCSI BP     '
Revision: '0.31'
Attached Changer: No

[root at oak root]# mtx -f /dev/sg3 status
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=0 (Unknown?!)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=No Sense
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 00
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed

[root at oak dev]# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
 DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

I can use mt to write and read from the tape loaded in the drive, but I
cannot get mtx to do anything with any of the sg devices.  Can anyone
see what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Matt

--