afacli can't find controller

Gianpaolo Fasoli gf at edatis.com
Mon Aug 11 11:30:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

We bought a PE2650 recently and I've installed RH Linux 7.2 on it. It
has 5x26G disks and a Perc3/Di Raid card. The SCSI configuration is as
follows: RAID5, 1 container with all 5 disks in it.
Everything is fully operationnal: the OS works fine, and the ERA card
reports no errors.

Now, I'm trying to remove a disk from the container with afacli.
The problem is that I keep getting the same error:

FASTCMD> open afa0
Executing: open "afa0"
Command Error: <The requested controller does not exist.>

It is a 2.4.21 kernel and afapps version is 2.6-3, perc firmware is
2.7.1.3170, PE2650 Bios is A10 and esm.o is loaded.

This is what I've got in my dmesg:
-----------------------
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Red Hat/Adaptec aacraid driver, Jul 29 2003
AAC0: kernel 2.7.4 build 3170
AAC0: monitor 2.7.4 build 3170
AAC0: bios 2.7.0 build 3170
AAC0: serial 0a56010d3
scsi0 : percraid
  Vendor: DELL      Model: PERCRAID RAID5    Rev: V1.0
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sda: 284365824 512-byte hdwr sectors (145595 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off

Do you have any suggestions?

JP