1GB RAM limit?

Marti marti at email.arizona.edu
Thu Aug 7 19:18:01 CDT 2003

Hi, I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I've spent the better
part of an afternoon trying to fix this and haven't gotten anywhere.

I have several PowerEdge 26xx (dual Xeon) servers with 4GB of RAM, but
linux is only reporting 1GB (roughly) on each of them:

radar[~]$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:       1030384      27316    1003068          0        720
7468
-/+ buffers/cache:      19128    1011256
Swap:      2097136          0    2097136

The only thing I've found on Dell's site is a semi-vague reference to
PCI devices eating up memory space at the top of the 4GB limit, but that
doesn't seem like it would apply here -- these are vanilla machines
without any particularly exceptional hardware.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get linux to recongize the
additional RAM?

Thank in advance,
Marti