Dellomsa-drivers on Debian 2.4.20 kernel

Jeff Waugh jwaugh at flowcom.com.au
Thu Aug 7 09:35:01 CDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 00:22, Dave Sobel wrote:
> I for one would love to work with even binary only debian packages --
> that's just fine for me.

Unfortunately, it may not be our choice. While the Dell Premier Support
download pages do not explicitly forbid redistribution, they do say, in
big, ominous capital letters:

USE OF THE FILES IS SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES. USE
OF ANY OF THE FILES IN ANY MANNER THAT WOULD VIOLATE THE COPYRIGHT LAWS
OF THE UNITED STATES IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN.

That doesn't yell out "yes, please, redistribute these files!" to me. :)
It would be pretty hard to build packages that automagically download
the Dell bits too, because they're all behind redirected GET requests
and passwords. D'oh.

Matt (or other Dell dudes), is there an official Dell stance on
redistribution of these files?

> I'll offer myself up as a test site if you need someone to try out your
> work.

Cool, guinea pigs are good. :-)

Thanks,

- Jeff