Latest release of BCM5700 driver for PE2650

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Thu Aug 7 06:09:00 CDT 2003

Words by Steve Snodgrass [Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:14:30PM -0400]:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:59:19AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > * Dell has never reported lockups to me or Red Hat for resolution.  When
> > will we be seeing these bug reports?
> >
> > BroadCom is actively supporting tg3 development.  If there are bugs,
> > please let us know about them.
>
> I'm not Dell, but I can tell you that I've been unable to use any kernel
> later than 2.4.18-27, most likely due to tg3 problems.  Every 2.4.20 kernel
> that Red Hat has released (under 7.3 anyway) consistently dies with a stack
> overflow within a week on my PE2550 firewall/router that's running VLANs on
> a tg3 interface.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else on the list has seen this.  See these
> Bugzilla entries for more info:

No. But I rather have seen.

We spent several days around some weird ESTABLISHED connections on a
server (RedHat 7.3) that kept growing that we couldn't find related to
anything else on the clients. The server started suffering from this and
its performance was sluggish. It was (is) a very importante server.

We managed (I don't really remember how) to relate this problems to the
tg3 driver and changed to the bcm5700 driver available on the dell site.
Everything working fine since then.

BTW, anyone able to explain why that (the ESTABLISHED) happened? I'm
really curious... Was this a result of some known bug? You can go to the
internals of it.

--
Jose Celestino | http://xpto.org/~japc/files/japc-pgpkey.asc