PE2650 / Perc 3Di crash

Salyzyn, Mark mark_salyzyn at adaptec.com
Wed Aug 6 11:34:24 CDT 2003

:-( Sorry for the false hope.

I've tried several experiments on this list thus far and I must thank you
for permitting me this indulgence. It is a symptom of my failure to
reproduce this issue.

It is rather hard to encapsulate any science when blind alleys go
unreported, so bear with me on my understanding and please correct me if I
am mistaken. Your movement to 2.4.22-pre10 does absorb some of the latest
driver changes too, so I am left wondering what is next.

It appears that turning Adapter Caching off (write through mode) resolves
the crashes, perhaps an acceptable fix but trades performance. About a year
ago it was discovered that a high level of outstanding commands (this
AAC_NUM_IO_FIB issue) would also exasperate the controller, this also trades
performance. There was mention of turning ACPI off also, I am unclear if
that provided any joy to some of the members. Another thread based on
Drives, and their Firmware revisions is starting as well and is not
necessarily a blind alley. I know there were a few bugs in the driver
discovered over the past 4 months that could also be the root of these
problems when it comes to various corners of error recovery.

It is my opinion that there is no pristine bug, requiring some science to
get to the root.

I look forward to any new clues to this class of issues.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn