Latest release of BCM5700 driver for PE2650

JACOB_LIBERMAN@Dell.com JACOB_LIBERMAN at Dell.com
Wed Aug 6 10:09:01 CDT 2003

Xose,

I agree with you %100. The best driver should be used.

Unfortunately, I am not a driver developer, and neither are %99 of Dell's
customers. Most of Dell's customers are not even on this list. They don't
care which driver is "better." They just want a stable solution.

In the past, I have seen many problems with both the tg3 AND bcm5700. In
some cases one driver would solve the problem, and in other cases the other
driver would solve the problem. Sometimes neither driver would work and we
had to send the customer cards from a different vendor.

I have no agenda of promoting one driver over another. My ego is not tied to
which driver is ultimately adopted. All I care about is getting the customer
in production with a reliable configuration.

e100/eepro100 is a good example of a vendor supplied driver, but it is not
unique. aic7xxx_mod versus aic7xxx is another good example of the vendor
managing a fairly good driver. I hope that, as Linux continues to gain
acceptance, the hardware vendors will ultimately become responsible for
managing their drivers through the current system of peer development.

Thanks,

Jacob