DLT tape errors -- UPDATE

Pottinger, Hardy J. PottingerHJ at umsystem.edu
Wed Aug 6 09:39:55 CDT 2003

Hi, Steve, could you explain how turning off wide negotiation leads to a faster backup? I'm giving your advice a whirl, but it appears to have slowed my transfer rate from an average of 640 MB/minute to an average of 460 MB/minute. The drive in question is a Quantum SDLT drive, so perhaps the advice doesn't apply in this case?

I'm seeing similar kernel errors during backups and restores:

 st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0xe000, Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error

But I'm beginning to suspect I'm really looking at a bad tape or two...

Thanks for your help!

HARDY POTTINGER <pottingerhj at umsystem.edu>
I-Net Administrator, UM LSO/MCO
...PGP Public Key...