Q's on replacing a drive in a RAID 5 on Perc3/di (2650)

Tue Aug 5 18:00:00 CDT 2003

Well if it has the exclamation mark it means it is still seen
by the system but is failed.  You have to do
'disk remove dead_orphan partitions (xx,xx,xx)'
before you do the enclosure commands.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Potter [mailto:jpotter-dell at codepuppy.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 4:18 PM
To: Linux-PowerEdge at dell.com
Subject: Q's on replacing a drive in a RAID 5 on Perc3/di (2650)

Hi,

I recently had a drive fail ("!" in the disk list), and went to replace
it. I wanted to check that I did the "right" thing (although I don't
think I did, since the RAID container blew up).

When a disk goes to "!" status, what's the correct thing to do?
	Rebuild it?
	Replace it with a new drive, per below steps?
	What if, after step 2 (below), it doesn't show as ready; as in the
lights on the disk are still on and won't go off?

Thanks!
Jeff

To replace a drive (list readers: check these steps; don't hold me to
them!)
	1. prepare slot to remove drive:
	enclosure prepare slot # #  (ie, 0 2 for container 0, disk slot 2)

	2. check that it's ready to remove:
	enclosure show slot # #

	3. Remove drive and do enclosure prepare slot again to reactivate
and
be missing member
	enclosure prepare slot # #

	4. rescan - might take 10 seconds?
	controller rescan

	5. Insert new drive, should auto initalize and start rebuild. Task
list to follow progress:
	task list