More then 2G of memory per process

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Tue Aug 5 16:33:01 CDT 2003

> I'm running an application that was developed in house. We are starting
> to exceed the limit of approximately 2 gigs of memory per application.
> Are there any options that will allow us to increase this limit?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 public beta "Taroon" has a 'bigmem' kernel
which implements a 4GB kernel / 4GB user memory split.  This increases the
amount of address space available to user processes from 3GB to just under
4GB, which should help a good bit.  It *really* helps the kernel, as it
now gets 4GB of address space, up from 1GB previously.

There is a performance penalty to switching to a 4GB/4GB model from the
current 1GB/3GB model in use today.  Each application will behave
somewhate differently.  We'd love to hear what your performance
differences are between running on a kernel with a 3/1 split vs. a 4/4
split.

> We are currently using 7.3 bigmem kernel with 4 gigs of physical ram. I'm
> planning on increasing the physical ram to 8 gigs.

There are no plans to release a 4/4 split kernel for products such as
RHL7.3.

Thanks,
Matt

--