Latest release of BCM5700 driver for PE2650

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Tue Aug 5 16:25:00 CDT 2003

Steve_Boley wrote:

> Since they are actively supporting, why not merge the best of both and
> go to one.  I was informed by a little birdy flying around that bcom
> has actively engaged a kernel developer to clean up bcm5700 and that
> is what redhat is supposed to officially support for Dell and broadcom
> adapters in upcoming adv server errata kernels.

someone wrote about bcm5700 driver:

"The Broadcom Tigon3 boards arrived, but looking at their driver made
me want to scratch my eyeballs out. I think I'll write the 2.4.x driver
from scratch, thank you. At least, I can print out their driver and use
that when we run out of toilet paper here at the apartment."

> Officially I was told that we support bcm5700 on as 2.1 end of story.
> I'm not going to divulge any names or anything but this is where the
> info of broadcom utilizing kernel developer to clean the bcm and get it
> back into the mainstream kernels at redhat came from.  I know you work
> for redhat so is that the truth or not.  I voiced concerns that different
> info keeps getting presented and now this still continues.

Work already has been done. bcm without shit = tg3 ;-)

> Jeff is broadcom going to integrate the codes and are you that developer
> or am I getting incorrect information?
>
> I don't want to start any flames but this is a very confusing topic for
> customers as well as what is working and what is not working.
> Steve

Documentation/SubmittingDrivers is very clear

--cut--
What Criteria Do Not Determine Acceptance

Vendor:         Being the hardware vendor and maintaining the driver is
                often a good thing. If there is a stable working driver from
                other people already in the tree don't expect 'we are the
                vendor' to get your driver chosen. Ideally work with the
                existing driver author to build a single perfect driver.

Author:         It doesn't matter if a large Linux company wrote the driver,
                or you did. Nobody has any special access to the kernel
                tree. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't telling the
                whole story.
--end--

I think that eepro100/e100 was a special case.

regards,
--
Software is like sex, it's better when it's bug free.