Q's on replacing a drive in a RAID 5 on Perc3/di (2650)
jpotter-dell at codepuppy.com
Tue Aug 5 16:24:01 CDT 2003
I recently had a drive fail ("!" in the disk list), and went to replace
it. I wanted to check that I did the "right" thing (although I don't
think I did, since the RAID container blew up).
When a disk goes to "!" status, what's the correct thing to do?
Replace it with a new drive, per below steps?
What if, after step 2 (below), it doesn't show as ready; as in the
lights on the disk are still on and won't go off?
To replace a drive (list readers: check these steps; don't hold me to
1. prepare slot to remove drive:
enclosure prepare slot # # (ie, 0 2 for container 0, disk slot 2)
2. check that it's ready to remove:
enclosure show slot # #
3. Remove drive and do enclosure prepare slot again to reactivate and
be missing member
enclosure prepare slot # #
4. rescan - might take 10 seconds?
5. Insert new drive, should auto initalize and start rebuild. Task
list to follow progress:
More information about the Linux-PowerEdge