Latest release of BCM5700 driver for PE2650

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 13:48:00 CDT 2003

Steve_Boley at Dell.com wrote:
> So your driver's too good and smoking out the under layers ;).

hehehe :)

Actually, to be blunt, I and the other kernel developers would rather
that the hardware vendor maintain the Linux driver.  Intel is a
_fantastic_ example of hardware vendor "doing it right":  they listen to
developer and user feedback, incorporate necessary changes, and in
general play well with the open source community.  I am more than happy
to stay out of the way and let Intel continue maintain the e100 and
e1000 drivers.

For BroadCom -- in the past (I emphasize) -- they did everything wrong.
  Ignored critical bugs we pointed out again and again.  Unwilling to
change the driver source to make it acceptable for the upstream Linux
kernel.  BroadCom has very recently started communicating with open
source developers (myself, DaveM, and others) and have been supporting
our tg3 efforts with documentation, hardware, and technical assistance.

I would love to transition to BroadCom maintaining tg3, but them getting
bcm5700 into the kernel at this point just looks highly unlikely, for
many reasons.

	Jeff