DLT tape errors -- UPDATE

Tue Aug 5 13:35:01 CDT 2003

Flash the firmware on the 39160 to latest available and go to
scsi settings and disable ultra wide negotiation on the id that
the tape unit is running on.  This will obviate some problems with
scsi noise on the bus and will actually increase speed on your
backup as well.  Also specify -b 128 switch and will set your
blocksize to 64k and will also cause the backup to run faster.
This should help prevent the sensekey errors you are having on
the system as well.  Make sure your raid is 2.27 firmware also.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Gurley [mailto:bgurley at utk.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 1:15 PM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: Re: DLT tape errors -- UPDATE

An update on my DLT problems...

I finally got desperate and blew away my RH 9 installation.  I formatted
partitions and did a quick-and-dirty RH 8 install, using the default RH
kernel.

I just now did a 'tar cvf /dev/nst0 *' from the / directory.

I THOUGHT it was actually going to work, because it went for a long
time;  longer than before.  But eventually it again stopped with:

tar: /dev/nst0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

And syslog (again) reports:

Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info
fld=0x0, Deferred st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info
fld=0x1, Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: Additional sense indicates Write error
Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.

Ultimately, I intend to use Amanda for backups, but I haven't set that
up yet.  It seems that this simple tar backup should work.  I just did a
test backup of a differrent RH8 (non-RAID) machine with an external HP
Surestor DAT drive attached to an Adaptec controller.  I used the same
command 'tar cvf /dev/nst0 *'.  It completed with only an expected error
because I neglected to exclude /proc.  The backup on that machine
completed, and I can do 'tar -tf /dev/nst0 > test.txt' to generate a
list from the tape.

Do any of the Dell folks have a suggestion for me?  I have just had this
machine a few days.  I'm worried that if I call Dell support on this,
they will want to talk in terms of Windows backup software, which I
don't have (and don't want).

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

--
-Bill-