DLT tape errors -- UPDATE

Bill Gurley bgurley at utk.edu
Tue Aug 5 13:16:00 CDT 2003

An update on my DLT problems...

I finally got desperate and blew away my RH 9 installation.  I formatted
partitions and did a quick-and-dirty RH 8 install, using the default RH
kernel.

I just now did a 'tar cvf /dev/nst0 *' from the / directory.

I THOUGHT it was actually going to work, because it went for a long
time;  longer than before.  But eventually it again stopped with:

tar: /dev/nst0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

And syslog (again) reports:

Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info
fld=0x0, Deferred st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info
fld=0x1, Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: Additional sense indicates Write error
Aug  5 13:13:20 nucleus kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.

Ultimately, I intend to use Amanda for backups, but I haven't set that
up yet.  It seems that this simple tar backup should work.  I just did a
test backup of a differrent RH8 (non-RAID) machine with an external HP
Surestor DAT drive attached to an Adaptec controller.  I used the same
command 'tar cvf /dev/nst0 *'.  It completed with only an expected error
because I neglected to exclude /proc.  The backup on that machine
completed, and I can do 'tar -tf /dev/nst0 > test.txt' to generate a
list from the tape.

Do any of the Dell folks have a suggestion for me?  I have just had this
machine a few days.  I'm worried that if I call Dell support on this,
they will want to talk in terms of Windows backup software, which I
don't have (and don't want).

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

--
-Bill-