AW: PE2650 / Perc 3Di crash

Matthias Pigulla mp at webfactory.de
Tue Aug 5 09:53:23 CDT 2003

Hi,

> James Bourne has already indicated that with 100, the problem
> still occurs. Can someone experiment with, lets say, 64 on an
> offending system? Adaptec
> *is* exploring how to get back to 512 reliably on all
> variants of adapters, but I must remind you that not all
> adapters have this `low' limit. This is but a case of least
> common denominator ...

I'll help where I can, however I cannot afford any experiments causing
downtime or fs inconsistencies on a production system :(.

This box has been running fine and stable with a Debian-provided 2.4.18
kernel for far more than 300 days and with a custom built 2.4.19 for
about 30 or 40 days. Until tonight, I haven't had any problems, so I
don't know if I am the right one to test...?

> Good on the verify not finding an issue, this means that you
> are more likely to have *this* bug rather than the a
> troublesome drive, but it does not necessarily mean that you
> do not have a troublesome drive. There is a possibility that
> the combination of outstanding commands and error recovery on
> troublesome drives could be giving us your headache.

If it was just the drive, I could replace it. But if it is something
down in the kernel, I don't know :(.

Matthias