DLT tape errors

Bill Gurley bgurley at utk.edu
Tue Aug 5 09:29:00 CDT 2003

jason andrade wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Bill Gurley wrote:
>

>>No, it's a PCI controller.  My RAID drives are on the embedded PERC
>>controller, but I ordered the machine with the DLT drive with its own
>>controller.
>

> putting it on a separate controller is good.  things to do and to check:
>
> o is the cable ok (assume it is an internal cable) and has nothing else
>   on it ?

Yes, this is an internal drive with internal cable.  Only the tape drive
is connected.

> o is the termination ok ? i.e does the cable have a terminator or is the
>   chain terminated on the drive ?

Yes, it is a standard LVD/SE cable with active terminator attached.  The
internal DLT drive only has SCSI ID jumpers, no termination jumper
settings, so I have to assume that termination is only set by the cable
termination.

I checked the connections.  I moved the Adaptec card to a different
slot, and reseated both ends of the cable.

> o can you test using something like dd instead ? e.g
>
>   mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nst0 bs=1048576 count=500
>
>  (this does a 500M write..)

OK, I did this test.  Got the same result as before:

[root at nucleus /]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nst0 bs=1048576 count=500
dd: writing `/dev/nst0': Input/output error
54+0 records in
53+0 records out
dd: closing output file `/dev/nst0': Input/output error

In syslog, I got this:

Aug  5 09:50:07 nucleus kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info
fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  5 09:50:07 nucleus kernel: Additional sense indicates Write error
Aug  5 09:50:07 nucleus kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.

> o have you replaced the cartridge ? some are faulty.. but usually have a
>   lifetime warranty from your vendor..

Yep.  The drive came with one cartridge, but I ordered the package with
five extra tapes.  I have tried three of them.  Same thing.

> o does this drive have a cleaning tape ? have you used it ? (yes, i know
>   it's brand new but sometimes it's worth a shot, if only to eliminate
>   an idea..)

Yes, I have used the cleaning cartridge about three times now.

> o is the drive properly being detected by the scsi controller and the OS?
>
>   e.g wide or not wide being negotiated properly.. and is the controller
>   matched to the drive scsi wise (differential vs non differential).  i am
>   not familiar with the 39160D - is it a diff controller and you have a diff
>   drive ?

Seems to be correct.  It shows up correctly in the BIOS messages on
bootup, and also in dmesg.

The Adaptec 39160D is simply an Ultra-Wide LVD controller with two
ultra-160 channels and also a plain 'ole 50-pin channel internal, and a
couple of ultra-160 external connectors.  But, like I said, the tape
drive is the only thing on it right now.

Here's an excerpt from syslog

Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI
SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:         <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI
adapter>
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:         aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel
A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel: scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI
SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:         <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI
adapter>
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:         aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel
B, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:   Vendor: BNCHMARK  Model: DLT1
      Rev: 5538
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel:   Type:   Sequential-Access
      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Aug  4 13:59:27 nucleus kernel: (scsi0:A:6): 20.000MB/s transfers
(10.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)

> regards,
>
> -jason

Thanks for your suggestions, Jason.

I did another tar test this morning, backing up /etc successfully.  But
if I try to back up everything, I get the same errors described before.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective drive.

-Bill-