PE2650 / Perc 3Di crash

James Bourne jbourne at mtroyal.ab.ca
Tue Aug 5 08:44:10 CDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Matthias Pigulla wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> tonight, I lost one of my PowerEdge boxes with a kernel panic. I'm
> running a PERC 3/Di, RAID10, on Debian woody with a custom 2.4.19
> kernel. I'll try to provide all information I can collect, I hope
> someone can help me to track this issue down. Please bear with me,
> although if it's long :)

FYI, this is what we have seen on our aacraid systems under heavy I/O
and CPU load.  It's unclear at this time if this is a firmware issue
or a driver issue, but I do know that now Dell and Adaptec are working
on a resolution...

Turning off write caching will provide a work around, although you
will still get timeouts, it looks as though the crashes will be prevented.

Regards
James Bourne

--
James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."

This  communication  is intended for the use  of the recipient to which it is
addressed,  and  may  contain  confidential,  personal,  and   or  privileged
information.  Please  contact  the  sender  immediately  if  you  are not the
intended recipient of this  communication, and  do not  copy, distribute,  or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.