DLT tape errors

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Tue Aug 5 06:41:00 CDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Bill Gurley wrote:

> No, it's a PCI controller.  My RAID drives are on the embedded PERC
> controller, but I ordered the machine with the DLT drive with its own
> controller.

putting it on a separate controller is good.  things to do and to check:

o is the cable ok (assume it is an internal cable) and has nothing else
  on it ?

o is the termination ok ? i.e does the cable have a terminator or is the
  chain terminated on the drive ?

o can you test using something like dd instead ? e.g

  mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nst0 bs=1048576 count=500

 (this does a 500M write..)

o have you replaced the cartridge ? some are faulty.. but usually have a
  lifetime warranty from your vendor..

o does this drive have a cleaning tape ? have you used it ? (yes, i know
  it's brand new but sometimes it's worth a shot, if only to eliminate
  an idea..)

o is the drive properly being detected by the scsi controller and the OS?

  e.g wide or not wide being negotiated properly.. and is the controller
  matched to the drive scsi wise (differential vs non differential).  i am
  not familiar with the 39160D - is it a diff controller and you have a diff
  drive ?

regards,

-jason