DLT tape errors

Bill Gurley bgurley at utk.edu
Mon Aug 4 16:22:01 CDT 2003

Hello Folks:

I'm new to this list.  I have a brand new PowerEdge 2600 set up with
RAID5 and a PowerVault 110T DLT VS 80 internal tape drive.

I have set up Redhat 9, and wanted to backup some stuff to tape.  I did
one little test backup of /tmp, but that's about all that has worked.
Every time I try to back up using tar, it begins to work, but then fails.

Here is some info:

The tape drive is the sole device on an Adaptec AHA-3960D controller.

'mt status' gives:

[root at nucleus root]# mt status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x40 (DLT1 40 GB, or Ultrium).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Here is a typical command I've been using:

tar cvf /dev/st0 etc

With this command, the contents of /etc begin rolling across the screen,
until:

tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

Syslog reveals:

Aug  4 17:02:22 nucleus kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info
fld=0x0, Deferred st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  4 17:02:22 nucleus kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info
fld=0x1, Current st09:00: sense key Medium Error
Aug  4 17:02:22 nucleus kernel: Additional sense indicates Write error
Aug  4 17:02:22 nucleus kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.

This leaves the tape drive flashing its "Clean/Media" LED, which clears
after ejecting the tape and re-inserting it or another tape.  Yes, I
have tried using the cleaning cartridge.  (Remember:  This is a BRAND
new machine, but I cleaned it anyway.)  I have tried three different
brand new tapes.

What gives?  I have tried forcing various block sizes with the tar
command, and it doesn't help.

Thanks for any assistance,

-Bill-