I/O Performance on Linux

Nick Pavlica nick.pavlica at echostar.com
Fri Oct 25 11:12:01 CDT 2002

All,
  I was recently made aware of a large number of complaints about the I/O
performance on servers equipped with PERC Raid controllers that utilize Linux
as the base OS.  We have a number of current, and future projects that will
required intensive I/O and Linux.  While it is not beyond our means to use
another brand of controller, using factory hardware is preferred.  What is
the current state of this issue?  Has it been resolved, or is there a
resolution under development?  We are currently building our systems with
Redhat 8, is this distribution affected by these performance problems as
well?

--
Nick Pavlica
CAS, Systems Engineer