1650 Ethernet Issue

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Oct 18 08:24:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Hoy, Mark wrote:

>I've used various Intel e1000 drivers. Currently I'm testing with
>E1000 V 4.1.7 and a 2.4.19 kernel. There is a single 1.4G PIII with 1G
>memory.
>
>When I continuously run at 250 Mbps the line, the Ethernet under test will
>eventually fail. I can't tell if this is a h/w or s/w problem....
>
>I've a cron job that takes the interfaces down, removes
>the e1000 module, re-installs the e1000 module, and brings the interface
>back up. This will fix the problem for a while.

That's almost certainly a software issue then. Heat-related problems
wouldn't go away with a driver reload.

RedHat's recent errata kernel for RH7.3 comes with:

Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver
4.3.2-k1 NAPI (020618)

compared to this for 2.4.18-10:

Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver
4.1.7

Suggest you try the newer kernel/driver and see if it helps (and let
the list know...)

Cheers,

Phil