PE600SC + Red Hat 6.2 = install failure?

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Oct 11 15:45:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, at 5:11pm, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
>   The problem is, it doesn't work.  When we try to install RHL 6.2 on the
> 600SC, the Anaconda installer crashes when it gets to the "Reading package
> list" stage...

  More information:

  Some suggested (off-list) that I try a text-mode install.  In fact, we do
that a matter of course -- it's usually faster/easier.  So, instead, I tried
the GUI installer.  Same problem.  I did get a better display of the stack
dump, though:

  [...]
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/image.py", line 8, in readComps
	return componentSet(self.tree + ('/RedHat/base/comps', hdlist)
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/comps.py", line 326, in __init__
	self.readCompsFile(file, self.packages)
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/comps.py", line 299, in readCompsFile
	comp.addPackage(packages[l])
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/comps.py", line 46, in __getitem__
	return self.packages[item]
KeyError: basesystem

  I don't know much about Python, but it seems to be trying to read the list
of packages associated with each "component", and blowing up doing so.  The
"basesystem" package is the first package listed in the first component in
the "comps" file.

  Going to the shell prompt, I can "cat", "cp", and "less" the "comps" and
"hdlist" files.  No error occur, and the "comps" file looks intact to me.
The "hdlist" file ("header list", I think) is a binary file, so I cannot say
if it is intact or not, but I believe it to be.

  I also tried going into the BIOS and disabling UDMA completely.  That made
everything a lot slower, but it still crashed in the same way.

  I know that Red Hat Linux 6.2 is technically "not supported" on the 600SC,
but this seems like it should be a "simple fix" sort of problem.

  Phooey.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>