PE2650 and raid performance perc3/di

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 11 08:20:00 CDT 2002

At 13:21 11-10-2002 +0200, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
>Lars Andersson wrote:
>
>To answer the other question: Hardware RAID is the way to go. For many
>reasons. Reilability being the heaviest argument.

Hardware raid is easy to swap disks with if one fails.

The biggest con of the 3Di is perhaps the performance. The other is that
the past history of the driver is not one of the best.

With respect to performance I noticed that it is not only raid5 that
suffers from this but also raid 10. I got about 8MB/sec on a 4 disk raid 10
with a Perc2/Si controller (the older Ultra/LVD interface card (80MB/s)).

The driver/firmware seems to do okay now, but older drivers and firmware
can result in some nasty situations.

Cheers

--
Seth