quad port nic's

Fri Oct 4 11:27:00 CDT 2002

> I'm getting ready to purchase a box to be used as a firewall.
> I'm going
> to use either a 2650 or 2600. Probably the 2600 since I need 8-10
> interfaces. Does anyone have any recommendations for quad port 10/100
> nic's?

Dell isn't selling any quad-port 10/100 NICs right now.  I've had good luck
with Olicom - they've got a 4-port 10/100 card with Intel e100 chips on it.
Works great in my home firewall. :-)

> I'm going to either be using Red hat or Check Point's Secure Platform,
> which is based on Red hat.
> http://www.checkpoint.com/products/protect/secureplatform.html Does
> anyone have any experience with Secure Platform? We are evaluating it
> now and it looks really good.

For the PE2600, be sure it's at least Red Hat Linux 7.3 or above.  7.2 is
pretty nasty to make work on the PE2600 due to IOAPIC changes that the
kernel on the CDs doesn't know about.  Once you get it installed, you can
upgrade to an errata kernel that works fine.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch