_unofficial_ tg3 rpms available

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 12:19:01 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 05:47:24PM +0000, Ed Martin wrote:
> I've loaded this onto a 2650 which always crashed quickly, and all is well so far <fc>  It's been an hour, which is longer than it ever managed previously, but I'll leave it overnight and see in the morning.
> I can also try a 2550 server which showed the same fault.
>
> Though I should add that the network situation has changed with this server - we've recently moved it from a 100MB switch to a GB switch.  And I haven't retried the crashing version since the move.
>
> I can confirm that your kernel does show a tg3 version of 1.2.

Thanks much for testing.

> Can anyone tell me which broadcom driver you'd recommend in the latest kernel please?
> (assuming this problem is fixed)
> Is it bcm (v2.2) or tg3 (v1.2)?
> Do you think that the answer will be the same in 6 months time?

Red Hat is strenuously recommending tg3, for both now and the future.

Personally I feel the same way, but I am also biased, being one of the
two tg3 authors ;-)

In addition to concrete features like better performance and better
hub/switch compatibility, the driver is much better from a source
code perspective, which makes it easier to maintain and review.

BroadCom's driver has a history of bugs, both major and minor, that
is often due to their lack of experience with Linux net drivers.  From
a source code perspective, their source code has multiple abstraction
layers which allow them to share their source code across multiple
OS's -- and also makes it difficult to review and validate.
Their abstraction layer has also been proven time and again as a
source of bugs.

Regards,

	Jeff