Determining aacraid module version at runtime?

Peter Smith peter.smith at UTSouthwestern.edu
Tue Nov 26 11:28:09 CST 2002

I have 4 squid proxies running 3 different kernel versions (all
poweredge servers.)  One of them is having the old "cpu wedging" problem
that I believe stems from a bad version of the aacraid module.  Is there
any way to find the version of the aacraid module without rebooting?  My
logs have since been cleared.  'dmesg' will usually hold the
answers--but not in this case I'm afraid as too much time has elapsed.
"strings /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/kernel/drivers/scsi/aacraid/aacraid.o|grep -i vers" doesn't help
either.  The module does contain the text "Red Hat/Adaptec aacraid
driver, %s"--but I can not tell what %s would contain.
/proc/scsi/aacraid doesn't give any data as either.

Any ideas?

PS--versions are
2.2.19-7.0.8smp (OK)
2.2.19-7.0.8smp (OK)
2.4.9-31smp (OK)
2.4.18-14smp (the one currently getting wedged;RH 8.0)
Too bad you can't just cat /proc/scsi/aacraid/version like you can cat
/proc/version .

Peter Smith