2650 freezes during POST

Mon Nov 25 10:16:01 CST 2002

Pull the dracIII card and reseat it, you might need to go into the controld
of the drac and change from dhcp to static ip address and then change it
back to dhcp if that is what it is to clear it's config out.  It is hanging
on the drac initializing for some reason which could be related to other
problems but probably not.  You need to pull it out on the rapid rails in
the rack and reseat the components and push it back in since the 2u chassis
is real prone to flexing while racking and causes the seating issues of
memory and pci cards causing problems during post.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian K. Jones [mailto:jonesy at CS.Princeton.EDU]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 10:12 AM
To: Steve_Boley at exchange.dell.com
Cc: Dell-Linux
Subject: RE: 2650 freezes during POST

I take it back.

Once I returned it to the rack, the same thing happened as did earlier.
So I pulled the kvm cables and plugged in a couple of spare mouse and
keyboard and that got me into the BIOS.  It complained about a keyboard
stuck key error, then I got to the BIOS.  When I exited the BIOS, the
machine got through the rest of the 'white bar' stage.

I shut the machine down before the actual OS started loading, and when I
rebooted I got something like

ATI RAGE BIOS SDRAM <some gobbledygook here>

Dell Remote Access Card III Detected

Initializing Remote Access Card /

And this just spins like this forever.  I don't get this from the other
2650's and this is looking increasingly flaky.  Any clues welcome.

Thanks again.

--

Brian K. Jones
System Administrator