Anyone used a 1655 MC yet ?

Jeremy_Sheard@Dell.com Jeremy_Sheard at Dell.com
Sat Nov 23 14:59:01 CST 2002

Colm,

Only RH Linux 7.3 has been validated on this system, however, yes...you do
have the options of either:
1.) booting directly off of the Linux CD's to install the OS or
2.) you can boot off the Server Assistant CD (v3.2.2 <-- I think) which has
support for the PE1655MC for RedHat 7.3

Either option above, you must use the USB CD-ROM to install the OS unless
you are going to deploy them across other blades.

Jeremy Sheard
DELL Server Support

-----Original Message-----
From: Colm MacCarthaigh
To: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Sent: 11/23/2002 9:34 AM
Subject: Anyone used a 1655 MC yet ?

Has anyone used linux on those new blade 1655's that
Dell are now retailing ? They look incredibly sweet.

Anyway, before I order one, does anyone know how the USB
CD-Rom add-on copes with being booted from ? It's only
180 Euro's but I'd rather save the cost and just install
them by putting the disks in a 1650 if the CD-ROM isnt
bootable.

Does the bios (as some Dell laptops do) pretend that
it's just a normal CD-ROM drive ? Or do I need a USB
enabled kernel with the right drivers ... etc.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh