Anyone used a 1655 MC yet ?

Sat Nov 23 11:34:00 CST 2002

> Has anyone used linux on those new blade 1655's that
> Dell are now retailing ? They look incredibly sweet.

Thanks, we think so. :-)

> Anyway, before I order one, does anyone know how the USB
> CD-Rom add-on copes with being booted from ? It's only
> 180 Euro's but I'd rather save the cost and just install
> them by putting the disks in a 1650 if the CD-ROM isnt
> bootable.

It is bootable.

> Does the bios (as some Dell laptops do) pretend that
> it's just a normal CD-ROM drive ? Or do I need a USB
> enabled kernel with the right drivers ... etc.

Yes, you need both.  BIOS boots the CD-ROM, but the kernel has to support
USB devices too.

The PE1655 was designed to be installed via PXE boot from a network PXE
server.  The OpenManage NetStart software that comes with it facilitates
this process.

The Dell Server Assistant CD which comes with it also allows local OS
install from a local connected USB CD-ROM drive.  For reference:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pe1655MC/en/ug/1k286c20.htm#1039152.

As it's a very new hardware platform, we recommend Red Hat Linux 8.0 for the
PE1655MC - earlier OS versions will be more difficult to install.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch