Anyone used a 1655 MC yet ?

Colm MacCarthaigh colm.maccarthaigh at heanet.ie
Sat Nov 23 11:14:00 CST 2002

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 10:47:57AM -0600, Matt_Domsch at Dell.com wrote:
> > Has anyone used linux on those new blade 1655's that
> > Dell are now retailing ? They look incredibly sweet.
>
> Thanks, we think so. :-)
>
> > Anyway, before I order one, does anyone know how the USB
> > CD-Rom add-on copes with being booted from ? It's only
> > 180 Euro's but I'd rather save the cost and just install
> > them by putting the disks in a 1650 if the CD-ROM isnt
> > bootable.
>
> It is bootable.

That's great :) *adds CD-ROM to order*

> > Does the bios (as some Dell laptops do) pretend that
> > it's just a normal CD-ROM drive ? Or do I need a USB
> > enabled kernel with the right drivers ... etc.
>
> Yes, you need both.  BIOS boots the CD-ROM, but the kernel has to support
> USB devices too.

That's no problem, I have a custom install image I build for
our own specific requirements :)

> The PE1655 was designed to be installed via PXE boot from a network PXE
> server.  The OpenManage NetStart software that comes with it facilitates
> this process.

Somewhat ironically, I hope to use one of the blades as a PXE
server and am working on an FAI Debian PXE install, it's nearly
where I want it to be. Our install process jiggles with a lot
of network settings (we have a policy of implementing IPv6 from
day one) and I have to figure out a way to have a lot of this
happen post-install rather than mid-install which is where it
happens right now.

> The Dell Server Assistant CD which comes with it also allows local OS
> install from a local connected USB CD-ROM drive.  For reference:
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pe1655MC/en/ug/1k286c20.htm#1039152.
>
> As it's a very new hardware platform, we recommend Red Hat Linux 8.0 for the
> PE1655MC - earlier OS versions will be more difficult to install.

We'll be using Debian 3.0 and FreeBSD 4.7, we'll see how it goes :)

--
Colm MacCárthaigh