Problems installing OMSA

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Fri Nov 22 18:26:00 CST 2002

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Ed Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My colleague has been unable to install OMSA, and I wondered if anyone on the list could help.  I know that several people in the past have posted OMSA problems, with some solutions suggested, but we remain stuck.  So either we have a different problem, or we've missed a relevent post.  Either way any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.
>
> I'd echo the two thumbs up for Dell btw, this list is one factor that is keeping us happy buying our servers from Dell.  And such is my high opinion of the list that I tend to check/post here before going to Dell technical support.

Hi Ed,

There are known issues with installing OMSA 1.2 on RH 7.3 with the latest
errata kernel.

I've spent a bit of time trying to puzzle out how to do it and only (so far)
came up with one successful methodology.  You could adapt this by rebooting
into an older kernel, and then following these steps.

o Install RedHat 7.3 - this ships with 2.4.18-3

o OMSA 1.2 will NOT support 2.4.18-3 as it was released well after RH7.3

o Upgrade the kernel to 2.4.18-5 or 2.4.18-10, i use -10

o Install OMSA 1.2

o check that everything is running

o Patch OMSA 1.2 for the new errata kernel (replaces dcesm.c)

o Upgrade the kernel to 2.4.18-18.7.x (or 2.4.18-17.7.x)

o Reboot into new kernel, OMSA 1.2 should build the only the fly esm this time.

You can find an install script which might be helpful at:

http://planetmirror.com/pub/dell/linux/OMSA/omsa120-install
http://planetmirror.com/pub/dell/linux/OMSA/omsa120-rh73-install

regards,

-jason